For Sale - 9 acre land/Farm/Business/Eco New House, White House, Black House, Garage - £199000
THE MOST ECO HOUSE IN SCOTLAND AND THE UK. Beautiful location, Sea Views, ideal for a range of private and business uses. A second home bolt hole, retirement home, B&B Business, agricultural small-holding amongst others.
Private Bay, Private beach
Highest standards of insulation and air tightness, triple glazing, woodstove
Ideal site for wind turbine
Otters on your shore, Golden Eagles flying overhead, fishing with a rod off the end of the land, visiting rare birds, docile highland cattle wandering free round the Island
(Small holding, B&B with potential income of £1000 a week during tourist seasons, conference/training centre) Home based business, lots of parking space
Peaceful and quiet location with all the modcons to be in contact with the world
Piece of history on your land – a rare combination of a white and a black house connected together
Islanders renowned for their friendliness and hospitality!!!!Low crime rate.
Community centre – meals available, educational courses, bowls and other activities, GP surgery, medicines delivery
When energy prices are rising to the current levels and projected to increase further, it is comforting to know that there is a house which has been designed to reduce energy costs to a minimum and face up to the expected increases in future energy price rises. Insulating aircrete block walls strengthened with steel with nearly 400mm insulation internally in the walls and ceiling plus 250mm insulation in the floors. Air tight VCL behind the plasterboard and external breather membrane between external wall cladding and wall material. Triple glazed, aluminium clad timber windows and high quality front doors. A DEFRA approved woodstove is installed to make ready use of locally available logs and a local supply of peat fuel. A supply of logs is found in the garage. All plumbing is insulated. All the internal walls, ceilings and skirting have been professionally decorated with any tiling and most kitchen fittings omitted to present the new owner with a blank canvass to suit their own individual tastes. Telephone, broadband and satellite cable are installed to enable occupants to enjoy the unsurpassed scenic views while maintaining effective level of contact and interaction with the rest of the world. It is expected that the high degree of insulation combined with programmable electric space and water heating will make for very low electrical consumption.
1. Land. This was farmed by previous occupants of the white house using the raised bed system, which on the Island are called ‘lazy beds’. The land is a registered farm and has a business number to allow use of the land for agricultural purposes including rearing pigs and sheep. A range of grants are available for various purposes. A neighbour has a number of sheep on their croft. Land has been decrofted, registered and is not a Croft**. A range of agricultural grants are available from SRDP.
2. A deep land drain is installed surrounding the new house and garage and emptying into a ditch to keep the site well drained and dry.
3. A stream runs near to house along with a lovely waterfall. An area overlooking this waterfall has been part landscaped.
4. Existing stone houses onsite have historical importance as examples of buildings that were in common use in previous times. The older black house is probably 150 – 200 years old and the white house in excess of 100 years. They are unusual because the black house is connected to the white house which is rare and anecdotal information from neighbours suggests they were still in use approximately 35 years ago.
5. White House. This has the potential to be renovated and a government grant of 75% * is potentially available. Purchaser needs to make their own enquiries to ascertain viability. Ask for details. Surveyors report available
6. Black House. This requires full restoration. This also can be brought back into use with the help of a 75% grant*. The rear of this house has been excavated to allow access for future restoration to this part of building. The White and Black House can both be developed to bring them back into use for a variety of personal business uses
7. I am advised that the white house/connected black house is a unique feature in the Western Isles and the fact they exist here is unusual and historically relevant.
8. There is a Septic tank which feeds into a vertical and horizontal reed bed. The septic tank /reed bed installed has been sized to assume the Black House and White House will be restored. Underground waste pipes, water and electricity power ducts are installed in preparation when these buildings come into use. Broadband and telephone services are in place already.
9. New House – see below
10. Agricultural Building/Garage. Farm use allows storage of light farm machinery and it’s wide enough to admit one car and has sufficient space for a workshop and storage. There are two lights and Power outlets. A security light is installed above the door. The door is a sectional/insulated with a roller mechanism.
11. Outside from the entrance to the area round porch and garage is filled with hard stone and rolled flat and has excellent drainage. Room for up to 10 cars. The seaward area in front of house has been landscaped flat and sown with grass seed.
12. A drying area is sited at the end of the new house
13. Kirkibost is 25 miles from Stornoway. Nearby Breacleit has a community centre, primary school and post office/shop/petrol station two miles from house.
14. Lewis has good GP services from the nearby community centre along with medicine delivery. Ambulance services and Western Isles Hospital, which has a full range of A&E, in patient and out patient facilities, is located in Stornoway. Helicopter air/sea rescue is based at Stornoway airport..Transport links:
Stornoway is about 45 minutes’ drive. There are also buses to take you to Stornoway and other parts of the island. This can to be a door-to-door service as bus drivers are prepared to pick up or drop you off at your door as desired by you. Stornoway Airport handles flights to/from major UK airports and parking there is free. There is an air discount scheme, see www.airdiscountscheme.com Ferries travel twice daily between Stornoway/Ullapool and Tarbert/Uig
*More details can be sought from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/grants http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/ and http://www.sac.ac.uk/
** A croft is a legal term denoting tenanted land with an annual rent
1. This is one of the largest houses in the Western Isles and has a range of alternative uses
2. House has been constructed as a very comfortable two double bedroom property
3. Bedrooms are large enough to accommodate 4 single beds each making a total of 8 beds.
4. Property can be used as holiday accommodation(subject to change of use application)
5. The large central area could potentially be used for large meetings making the property able to be used as a conference centre(subject to change of use application)
6. Siberian Larch is installed untreated. Wood appearance takes on a silvery finish over time.
7. The house has the potential of a simple conversion to two separate units each with its own bedroom, lounge, toilet/bathroom/shower
Although the house is decorated internally it is understood that a purchaser will have their own preferences and will decorate to their own tastes. The bathroom and wet room is expected to be tiled at some stage and WC, Bath, WHB and shower have been installed with this expectation in mind when being fitted. WHB, WC’s and bath wont need any plumbing alterations to accommodate tiles. If the Kitchen area is tiled this will also be straight forward. The internal window cills are ready for tiling. Tiling has not been installed because colours and finishes are very personal and tiles chosen by us are unlikely to be acceptable to any purchaser except by chance. This allows the purchaser a free range to make this house to their own tastes. A glass screen is suggested between the WC and shower base, which is best, fitted after tiling. All flooring is 22mm moisture resistant T/G glued chipboard and can accept any finish including tiles, wood or laminate, carpet or vinyl. All internal doors are fire doors and there is a smoke alarm system with extractor fans with humidistat which are vented outside and have anti back draft installed. Walls are built from high load aircrete blocks, externally clad with breather membrane and Siberian Larch and internally clad with 400mm insulation and VCL (Vapour Control Layer) for walls and ceiling and 250mm insulation under the floors. Steel wind posts are incorporated into the walls for strength. 15mm plasterboard is installed on internal walls onto wood studwork. The layout is simple which means the pipe runs for the plumbing is simple and easy to access. Triple glazing with the outer pane made from laminated glass.
Space heating. All heaters are individually programmable and can be controlled and co-ordinated to come on and off for your comfort and to minimise power cost. Dimplex Girona black glass fronted heaters are used in bedrooms and central area and Dimplex Apollo heaters, with towel rail, in the bathroom and shower room. Because of the high level of insulation combined with triple glazing, VCL and low ‘U’ value front doors, the heaters need only be used to raise the temperature to a comfortable level and then reduced to a normal maintenance level to keep the house warm. We found bedrooms which had been heated prior to retiring retained the heat until the morning even though they had been turned off the night before. Although actual energy usage figures are not yet available, short term living experience bears these assumptions out. Use of Storage heaters in this house would have meant higher energy costs and were discounted. Electrical or oil fired heating with radiators were discounted because of the cost and additional complexity, together with long term maintenance costs and the uncertain nature of oil price rises expected in the future.
Water Heating. There is a luxurious large ‘stretch out and relax’ size bath and a shower wet room together with a large direct water cylinder with 2 independently controlled and programmable immersion heaters for fast water heating when required
1. Porch. The outer porch door and inner house doors are by ‘Dooria’. These are well insulated, with a low ‘U’ value, and are draught and weather proof
2. Main Central Living Area. This area is an open plan area with a kitchen, dining, lounge and office or any configuration the purchaser requires. There are Two ‘Udden’ free standing kitchen unit frames from Ikea which can be completed and used and added to, complete a fitted kitchen. As an alternative these can be junked and you can design and fit out a kitchen of your choice. Long and wide windows with low cills offer lovely views towards the sea.
3. Bedroom One, large enough to accommodate a double bed or up to 4 single beds and additional furniture
4. En Suite Bathroom, WC and Wash hand Basin solid wood basin support, polished stainless steel leg, wood surrounding 1800mm bath
5. Storeroom/Utility. This contains the hot water cylinder with two immersion heaters and individual digital timers. Plumbing is exposed for simplicity of maintenance. It could be boxed or left showing. There are no plumbing connections in the loft area. The washing machine would be sited here and there is space for shelving and Freezer.
6. Bedroom Two, large enough to accommodate a double bed or up to 4 single beds and additional furniture
7. Storeroom/Utility. Could be used for a walk in wardrobe, shelving. Plumbing is exposed for simplicity of maintenance
8. Wet Room, WC and Wash hand Basin. solid wood basin support, polished stainless steel leg
9. Outside. Security lights. Two on house adjacent to path and one on garage.
Permits to cut peat are available from the ‘Stornoway Trust’ at a cost of £15. Permission to cut peat is also available on Bernera through the grazing clerk
Ask for copy of
1. Location Plan
2. House Plan
3. White House Surveyor Report.
4. Personal report of restoration of White House/Black House
5. Pictures of House and Land
6. Professional Consultants Certificate
7. Farm Business Registration
8. Completion Certificate
10. Any other information